The City of Weslaco will begin another drainage project to include a regional stormwater detention facility and channel widening alongside Mayor Pablo Peña Park.
While the drainage project will be constructed at and near the park, this major drainage project will benefit hundreds of homes and businesses in Weslaco by adding significant stormwater capacity to our system. The project will commence after a required environmental study is approved by our state and federal partners.
Part of this project includes the removal of light posts and underground electrical wiring at Mayor Pablo Peña Park. Crews removed the electrical system and lighting in preparation for heavy equipment that will be utilized to excavate and construct the in-ground regional detention facility intended to hold and release significant amounts of rainwater. The city will reroute a portion of the trail at the park and reinstall light fixtures.
The City of Weslaco is committed to improving the quality of life of all residents, from families to students to local businesses.
After the $10 million drainage bond passed in 2019, the city has completed the following projects:
- NEW CONSTRUCTION: Southeast Weslaco drainage improvement project, completed this year. This project included the development of a new storm drain system to improve the conveyance of rainwater downstream into the floodway as seen in the above photo.
- NEW CONSTRUCTION: Flapgates drainage improvement project that benefits the entire city of Weslaco by preventing rainwater from back flowing from the drainage system.
- NEW EQUIPMENT: Floodwater pumps project that benefits the entire city of Weslaco.
- NEW CONSTRUCTION: Southwest Weslaco regional detention facility (RDF) drainage project
- NEW CONSTRUCTION: South-central Weslaco regional detention facility (RDF) drainage project
- NEW IMPROVEMENTS: East Weslaco ditch reconstruction
- NEW EQUIPMENT: Long-reach excavator to clear drainage ditches of debris. The new excavator is operated by public works crews and benefits the entire city of Weslaco.
- NEW EQUIPMENT: Vactor truck to clear storm drains of debris. The automated high-pressure water jetting and remarkable vacuum power, all-in-one tool is operated by public works crews and benefits the entire city of Weslaco.
- NEW CONSTRUCTION: East Weslaco regional detention facility (RDF) drainage project
The following drainage projects are in the engineering phase:
- NEW CONSTRUCTION: Central Weslaco new drainage system project that includes the Mayor Pablo Peña Park project as mentioned above
- NEW CONSTRUCTION: North Weslaco drainage improvements and regional detention facility (RDF) project
Hidalgo County also completed drainage projects that benefit the northern and eastern portions of Weslaco. Additionally, city crews regularly maintain existing drainage systems to clear it of debris.